Senior TSCM Technician
Location: Arlington, VA
The Senior TSCM Technician is responsible for providing technical expertise and support to DoD organizations. This individual coordinates, executes, and oversees all Technical Surveillance Countermeasures (TSCM) activities. This position provides input and advises on issues concerning TSCM, physical security and information security policy creation, implementation, and practical applications. The Senior TSCM Specialist reports anomalies and hazards to customers and supports any follow-on investigative efforts. The Senior TSCM Specialist provides oversight and accounts for equipment and assists in the research and identification of new TSCM equipment and technologies. This position also provides input to corporate management concerning budgets, travel scheduling, and equipment needs.
- Conducts technical surveillance and countermeasures inspections to ensure clandestine devices have not been introduced into sensitive areas of a facility.
- Formulates scopes of work for each TSCM inspection in conjunction with current threat information or other special intelligence information.
- Responsible for overseeing equipment logistics and operational status.
- Recommends new detection equipment to enhance the inspection processes.
- Coordinates findings with cognizant security representatives and authorities when necessary.
- Ensures that adequate countermeasures have been established for continually protecting sensitive and proprietary information activities.
- Manages travel budgets, monthly reports, and personnel tracking.
- Makes recommendations to improve the effectiveness of TSCM inspections.
- Required to be conversant with national security policies, physical, technical and construction security standards, and adhere to Director of Central Intelligence (DCI) procedures for conducting TSCM inspections.
- Ensure OPSEC is observed in relation to TSCM inspections.
- Determines the scope of each TSCM inspection; plans and implements TSCM logistical operations for staff and equipment required for each trip, identifies and recommends resolutions to security issues pertaining to technical security standards; drafts report that details the TSCM activities.
- Conducts in-depth security analyses and formulate and recommend technical solutions based on the analysis.
- Prepares written reports detailing findings and recommendations from TSCM inspections.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Education and/or Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university or three years of recent comparative work experience may substitute for the degree requirement.
- Requires five or more years of investigative experience with a minimum of three years in technical surveillance and countermeasures (TSCM) inspections and experience in counterintelligence investigations.
- Experience should also include counterintelligence, operational security, physical security, technical security, and electronics systems installation.
- Digital collection and cyber investigation experience is highly desirable.
- Three to five years of demonstrated TSCM support knowledge is required. This experience should have been achieved within the past three years.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Shall be fluent in the English language and have the ability to read, write, and comprehend technical documentation.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Suite of products including, Word, Excel, Access, and E-mail business software.
- Must possess in-depth knowledge of Executive Order 12333, and DoD Instructions 5240.2 and 5240.05.
- Must have an understanding and hands-on skill and experience with, information security practices required to establish and maintain system integrity for safeguarding classified information in a secure environment.
- Ability to communicate and coordinate actions effectively with individuals at all organizational and management levels.
- Remains skillful and proficient in all areas of TSCM inspection and assists with technical, physical, construction and transit security issues as required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Required to be certified by the Interagency Training Center to conduct TSCM inspections.
- Must have completed Introduction to Computer Hardware and the Computer Incident Responders Course from the DoD Cyber Investigations Training Academy (DCITA) and/or have DoD certification as Digital Media Collector.
- Preference may be given to applicants with higher DoD Certifications as a Digital Forensic Examiner or Cyber Crime Investigator.
TOP SECRET Clearance Level Required
- Must have a current US Government TOP SECRET Personnel Security Clearance and be able to qualify for SCI access.
- Must have a current US Government Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) (less than 4-1/2 years old) or be able to successfully complete a U.S. government administered Single Scope Background Investigation.
- Must be eligible for and able to obtain and maintain required Security Clearance/access approvals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to be able to occasionally stand; walk; sit; use hands and /or fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; operated vehicles and office equipment, reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop; kneel; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and distance vision.
Travel locations within the Continental United States (CONUS), and at foreign travel locations outside the Continental United States (OCONUS) will be required based on mission and business demands.
General office environment. The primary place of performance is within the Pentagon and facilities within the National Capital Region (NCR).