Military & Family Life Counselor (Special Operations Command), Cannon AFB, NM
Location: Cannon Air Force Base, NM
Must hold independent level license (LCSW, LMFT, LPCC, etc) *Relocation assistance may be offered
This position has the primary responsibility of providing the full breadth of MFLC counseling services to military service members and their families at the Special Operations Command (SOCOM). This position requires a secret level security clearance and must abide by the rules governing such secret clearance. The counselor is solely responsible for providing MFLC services including non-medical, short term, walk around counseling, training/health and wellness presentations, and consultation to installation command regarding behavioral health issues with a unique understanding of the special operation?s cultural and security issues. This position is embedded within this command and therefore, must develop complex relationships to permit the counselor to work closely with the installation and general command personnel and structure and provide the highest level of consultative services.
- Provides non-medical, short term, solution focused, walk around counseling directly to service and family members of the SOCOM. Services include assessment, brief counseling and consultation, action planning, referral to resources (assuring linkage as appropriate), and follow-up as indicated. Delivers training and health and wellness presentations and other base/installation activities as requested/ directed. Enters counselor activity data on a daily basis through smart phone, web, or fax to assure that reporting is accurate from assigned installation, while maintaining client / service member confidentiality.
- Cultivate and maintain direct, high level relationships with high level installation personnel within the SOCOM and installation utilizing superior account management/executive skills recognizing the unique structure of SOCOM. Responsible for development of an excellent working relationship with the installation POC (Point of Contact) and with the SOCOM leadership.
- Create a presence on the installation in which the service and family members feel comfortable approaching the counselor and recognize the program to be confidential. Establishes and maintains working relationships with community resources and provides appropriate linkages for service members and their families. Partners with POC to provide MFLC services in a manner that addresses the needs of the installation.
- Provides MFLC response to critical incidents, surge, and special requests as directed by the POC and approved by the OSD program manager. Counselor will flex schedule to respond to urgent requests as needed.
- Manages duty to warn and restricted reporting situations according to Department of Defense (DoD) protocol and staffs the cases with Regional Supervisor/Regional Director.
- Communicates with Regional Supervisors and participate in regular individual and group supervision, sharing information regarding trends and issues on the installations to which they are assigned.
- Participates in regular in-services/training, Quality Improvement committees or other contract activities as assigned/appropriate.
General Job Information
TitleMilitary & Family Life Counselor (Special Operations Command), Cannon AFB, NM
Job FamilyNon-OCONUS Counselors
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Non-Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date8/6/2017
Date Requisition Created8/8/2017
EducationMasters: Behavioral Health (Required)
License and Certifications - RequiredLPC - Licensed Professional Counselor - Care Mgmt
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
ResponsibilitiesMinimum 3 years of post masters clinical experience., Prior military service/military family member and/or strong familiarity with military culture and command structure; ability to establish productive relationships with high ranking military personnel. Prior services as MFLC and/or CYB counselor strongly preferred., Requires ability to engage and communicate with military members or children as assigned, in order to accomplish job functions, and to respond quickly to emergent situations in any physical location on a military installation and/or within a school setting, which includes the need to traverse short and/or long distances within the base to both indoor and outdoor locations, to maneuver through rugged, outdoor or uneven locations (e.g., steep inclines, stairs, grass), and work in outdoor weather and other military base conditions. May require travel to locations outside of a military base in a variety of physical environments. Due to the nature of working on military installations or related worksites, counselors may need to comply with various site specific requirements to work at designated locations. For example, for some assignments, counselors will need to have certain immunizations or vaccinations and provide record of receipt.- Secret Level security clearance. - Ability to prove US Citizenship. - Advanced knowledge of brief therapy and solution-focused counseling methods.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled