Community Service Officer
Location: Olathe, KS
Perform taking walk in reports and assist the public with answers to questions and concerns for the Police Department.
- Assist the public in person and by telephone; provide information on City and Department programs, policies and procedures.
- Assist with walk-in reports; including criminal, general information, traffic accidents and other reports;
- Monitor and physically inspect building security to include an inspection of the holding facility.
- Prepare investigative and other reports including sketches, using appropriate grammar, symbols and mathematical computations.
- Communicate effectively and coherently over law enforcement radio channels while initiating and responding to radio communications.
- Gather information in criminal investigations by interviewing and obtaining the statements of victims, witnesses, suspects and confidential informers.
- Effectively communicate with people, including juveniles, by giving information and directions, mediating disputes and advising of rights and processes.
- Read and comprehend legal and non-legal documents including the preparation and processing of such documents as citations, affidavits and warrants.
- Collect, process and photograph evidence including fingerprints, and other physical evidence.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Experience: Previous office experience preferred; some law enforcement related experience is desirable.
: A high school diploma or G.E.D.
Reasons for Disqualification
- FALSE STATEMENT: False statement of material fact/deception/fraud, or intentional withholding of the same;
- FELONIES: No felony convictions ever and no commission of a felony in the past five years, subject to review;
- MISDEMEANORS: Conviction/Commission of a Class "A" misdemeanor within the past five years, subject to review. No conviction/commission of a Class "B" misdemeanor within the past two years to include a Failure to Appear traffic conviction, subject to review.
- DRIVING RECORD: Commission/Conviction of a DUI in the past five years. Three or more citations within the last twelve months. Three or more chargeable or at fault accidents within the past five years. Overall driving history which is deemed unacceptable.
- PROBATION/PAROLE: Currently on probation, parole or diversion (inclusive or deferred adjudication). Pardoned for any reason other than being innocent.
- NARCOTICS/CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE: Use of any illegal drug, other than marijuana, within the past five years or the sale of a controlled substance at any time.
- MARIJUANA: No use of marijuana in the last three years.
- MILITARY DISCHARGE/CONDUCT: Discharge that is less than honorable conditions.
- UNACCEPTABLE BACKGROUND: Work history, educational history, military service, general reputation, and interpersonal relationship.
- TATTOO POLICY: Any visible tattoo must be covered by; clothing, a flesh-colored bandage, or a flesh-colored or black sleeve which does not detract from the appearance of the uniform. Employees are prohibited from having and/or obtaining any tattoo, any place on their body, which is offensive, immoral, or presents an unprofessional appearance as deemed by any Department or City policy, or the Chief of Police
- PIERCINGS: Piercings are limited to two earrings per ear and "no gauged body parts."
- CITY WIDE NEPOTISM POLICY: Any applicant who has a member of their immediate family employed full-time or part-time by the City of Olathe is not eligible for employment.