Administrative Assistant, Senior (OES)
Location: Atlanta, GA
Name: City of Atlanta
Phone: (404) 546-6959
Salary range: $33,000 - $41,300
Close date: August 25, 2017
General Description and Classification Standards
- Provides varied and advanced level administrative and support services to an assigned department. Typically supervises lower level administrative support staff, temporary employees or interns. Prepares, reviews, distributes, and/or files routine correspondence, memoranda, letters and reports; attends staff and other meetings and takes notes or minutes. Plans and/or coordinates meetings within department or across departments. Carries out special projects of an administrative or office operations nature; as needed, serves on interdepartmental teams for process improvement or other tasks. Answers calls, responds to general phone, email, or written inquires. Maintains department records and files.
- Position differs from Administrative Assistant in the degree of independence, level of contacts (frequent, external, high level), and size of office or organization directly managed or impacted.
Work under very general supervision and report to a manager, Assistant Director, or Director as needed. May work independently or with other workers with responsibility for completion of assigned tasks.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Establishs and maintains positive and professional relationships with customers, assigned staff, and co-workers; Maintain professionalism, composure and demonstrate tact, patience and courtesy at all times.
- Answers phone calls within the department and adequately route and return calls from customers.
- Provides proper documentation to customers for processing of various services.
- Handles incoming inquires and requests.
- Provides varied administrative and clerical services to the Director and Assistant Directors.
- Prepares and distribute memoranda, correspondence and letters for the Director and Assistant Directors.
- Directs customers to various divisions within the department.
- Coordinates meetings and appointments within the department.
- Transcribes notes from meetings into prescribed format.
- Maintains Director's calendar for meetings, appointments, etc.
- Responds to email and voicemail correspondence.
- Receives, responds, and resolves office personnel complaints from customers.
- Creates requisitions and purchase orders for office material.
- Interview scitizens either by phone or in person to determine details of the inquiry or problem.
- Advises departmental personnel, citizens, and others on status of applications pending, and makes referrals to other agencies as appropriate
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Follows standardized procedures, building codes, and written/verbal instructions to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Must be able to process information on hand and decide on next steps to complete tasks and/or resolve issues. Determines when to escalate issues to upper/senior management.
Routinely provides work group leadership, guidance, and/or training to less experienced staff.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of best in class customer service.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Uses independent judgment and make sound decisions in accordance with established procedures and policies.
- Works effectively and efficiently under stress and meet deadlines as required.
- Works collaboratively with team members to resolve customer challenges.
- Ability to use specialized office data systems and standard office software.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, other officials, representatives of other government agencies, developers, and the general public.
- Ability to provide information and to answer questions pertaining to the City's building permit procedures in a tactful and courteous manner to the general public.
- Ability to gather relevant information to solve practical problems.
Minimum Qualifications - Education and Experience
- High School Dipolma or GED required.
- 1 year of secretarial, clerical, office management, or general administrative experience required.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Associate's degree or vocational training in topics such as secretarial science, business/public administration, engineering, or related field.
- 3 years of secretarial, clerical, office management, or general administrative experience.
Licensures and Certifications