Civic Engagement Reporter, Rochester
Location: Rochester, NY
D&C Digital, a part of USA TODAY NETWORK, is the leading source of local news and information in Greater Rochester. Through our combination of products, we reach and engage more than 431,000 people -- 60 percent of our market! D&C Digital is looking for a dynamic Civic Engagement Reporter!
Researches, writes and reports compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media. Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produces watchdog journalism that leads to change. Works with the content coach, content strategists and audience analysts to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform. Contributes to the community’s greater good through impactful journalism.
JOB DETAILS SPECIFIC TO ROCHESTER
This reporter covers government and politics, but not from the old perspective based on meetings coverage. This is about how individuals interact with their government, how they can get involved and what happens when they do. This beat is about the citizens and the voters, not about the bureaucrats and the politicians. This reporter will be expected to own these topics and produce a variety of kinds of stories and blogs, from brief items to in-depth enterprise, as well as cover breaking news as warranted. This reporter will be expected to engage with readers through platforms such as social media, digital chats, events, comments, etc.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES
* Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
* Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
* Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
* Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
* Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
* Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.
* Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
* Performs other duties as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
* Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills
* Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
* Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
* Self-motivation and self-direction.
* Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
* Photo and video skills.
* Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
* Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
* Knows how to use time effectively in a 24-hour news environment.
* Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
* Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
* Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
* Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
* Industry knowledge.
* Organizational skills.
* Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
* Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
* Five years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
* Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
SKILLS REQUIRED OF THIS POSITION:
* News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
What we Offer:
As a part of the USA Today Network, the nation's largest media and marketing solutions company, we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid vacation time, personal and sick leave, and tuition reimbursement. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.
USA TODAY NETWORK, owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.